Hepatitis C Symptoms

Red blood cellsAround 75% of hepatitis C patients have no symptoms when they first acquire the hepatitis C virus. The remaining 25% may experience symptoms such as fatigue, loss of appetite, fever or muscle aches. As the symptoms can be attributed to other factors, such as a mild cold or flu, it is rare for HCV to be picked up when it is first acquired. Many diagnoses are made by chance when a patient donates blood or has a routine blood test, where higher than normal levels of liver enzymes are detected.

Some people will manage to eliminate the virus from their body before it can cause any severe problems. These people have acute HCV. However, most HCV cases become chronic, meaning that the person’s immune system has failed to attack the virus successfully.  As the immune system continues to attack infected liver cells it causes inflammation and scarring to the liver. Patients will experience non-specific symptoms such as fatigue and loss of appetite.  As the virus develops symptoms can include:

  • Weight loss and loss of appetite
  • Joint pain
  • Nausea
  • Alcohol intolerance and liver pain
  • Flu-like symptoms

As the damage to the liver worsens and cirrhosis develops, symptoms will increase. Symptoms may include:

  • Loss of appetite and weight loss
  • Weakness
  • Breast enlargement in males
  • Spider-like blood vessels in the skin
  • Difficulty in blood clotting
  • A rash on the palms
  • Itchy skin

Alternative hepatitis C treatment is available through our Functional Oncology Program, which is designed to strengthen the immune system and help the body to rid itself of the hepatitis C virus. Functional Oncology is a natural treatment for hepatitis C with minimal side effects.

If you would like to know how our treatment program could help you or a loved one with hepatitis C contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation.